Friday, November 5, 2010

SAMSON & DELILAH


























30x30"
oil on canvas
NFS

This is Samson and Delilah. I painted this as a gift for our friend Val who puppy sat for Blu and Raz while we went bi-coastal. Delilah, the cutie on the right, is Raz's sister and Blu's half sister...same dad, different moms. We picked them up from the breeder at the same time.

Despite my constant whining when they were pups, I really do think of my babies as just that, my babies. I'd also like to think of myself as the kind of person who hasn't substituted pets for children, but admittedly, I have been perusing catalogs for winter coats and sweaters for the little tykes. Anyway, leaving them with Val gave us both complete peace of mind while we were away, until our second day in when I became uncomfortable with my pervasive calmness in LA and decided we couldn't reach Val by phone or computer because Blu had somehow gotten out of the yard and she was out searching for him. Tim very lovingly talked me off the ledge and I quieted down until Val returned our call to report that everything was, of course, fine. Guess I was having too much fun and had to run to the familiar shelter of terrorizing myself with my thoughts...a favorite pastime of mine.

Anyway, this is just about finished. I like my work better in real life, the photos seem to be too hot. Tim suggested I change some settings on the camera that would allow the transition of colors to appear softer. We'll see.

Enjoy the weekend and thanks so much for stopping by.

18 comments:

  1. Way over the top cute! Talk about dogs with personality, you got it down. (You sound just like other pug owners, they must cast a spell over you when you adopt one as a family member!) Like your recent pastel post too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What sweet expressions you captured on SAMSON & DELILAH !!!!
    The eyes say it all, along with those little lips! The colors and everything are perfect.
    I just know Val will treasure this Masterpiece.
    Thank you for sharing you love of your own babies Raz and Blue with us too.
    You must get them clothes.. I have 30 sweaters, and one hat.
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this painting. What expressive faces you've captured!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable, love the expressions. Well done Suzanne. Makes we want to run out buy a puppy. Must restrain myself, they are work. Have a great weekend.

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another wow painting! The fur looks so velvety and the expressions are wonderful. Your friend will be ecstatic when she recieves this painting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning work Suzanne! But really everything you touch is. You have such a gift, I was looking at some of your paintings in the slide show at the top and am just blown away again by the beauty of your art. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pair! Must be very striking in person at this large size, wow. Their paws in particular look very velvety.

    (Do you think dogs know when they are related?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so good at getting the right colours and values for your subjects. They are precious. What a generous gift!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice...as usual!
    Thanks, Suzanne, for your kind words about Basho.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are adorable! How could you not love them to death?

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad your pup is safe and sound. Wonderful painting, and I'm sure your pet-sitter friend will cherish this. It is a wonderful find when you have a friend you completely trust with your babies, even if they do behave badly and escape:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow Suzanne, this has to be one of my favourites, such characters. Youve really captured that look, they look adorable. Love the way youve handled the background making them stand out)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful Suzanne. There is some amazing light in in this piece. The pups are right off the canvas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gosh, I wish I had a bag full of puppy treats, I just KNOW I could get them to come home with me! You did an amazing job of capturing LOVE on canvas, Suz. There parents must be over the top with this gift; your generosity shines.

    By the way, from one pastel artist to another; you did a magnificent job on your earlier piece! Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is wonderful Suzanne, these dogs are the cutest!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your heart comes through in your art - and this one is no exception. Beautiful, as portraits and as a piece of art as well... glad your baby's OK!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful portraits! I know your friend is absolutely thrilled. Their little faces are so expressive. And that Delilah! Such a temptress with those red lips and paw draped across his. Beautiful job on the soft fur!

    ReplyDelete

Your visits to my blog and the comments you leave here are an integral part of my creative process. They are helpful, supportive and well, let's face it, they feel really good! If I don't thank you personally, please allow me to thank you in advance for taking the time to stop by and leave your thoughts, they mean so much!